Tuesday 7 May 2013

Font Experiments

Originally I had assumed the text in my book would be a standard computer font. Although for my page layouts I had simply written the text in, hand lettering has never been something I am good at. I didn't want my text to look amateurish on the page, and so I decided to use a computer font.

I started to experiment with arranging my text on a page, trying to incorporate it within the image. 






I liked the positioning of the text in these images, but the text didn't quite look like it was part of the image. I wanted to keep the text childlike because the story is told from the child's point of view, which is why I didn't keep the size of each letter exactly the same and made it slightly wonky on the page. 

I decided to try cutting out some letters to see if collaging the text would be more effective. To match the colours of my book I decided to use the same paper as another part of the book. I started out using the brown paper I have used for the floor, however this was rather thin and flimsy and it was a struggle to keep the paper from curling up or ripping when I tried to scan it. Instead, I used the grey paper I had been using for my character's shirt and socks. This paper is quite thick, which meant it was a bit more durable than the brown paper I had been using. 



Once I had scanned them I started to place them into the images and used them to replace the computer font. 



 I much prefer the collaged text than the computer font, as I feel that the cut out letters really compliment the image and look like they are meant to be there, whereas the computer letters looked a little out of place.
I will use the collaged font in my final pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment